Long Term Care News
- Provider groups slam Medicaid cuts in last-chance 'catastrophic' bill to replace ACA
Republican lawmakers' last shot at repealing and replacing the Affordable Care Act ahead of a Sept. 30 deadline is not earning any fans in the long-term care sector, the nation's largest pro …
- Hospital group: MedPAC's proposed post-acute payment system 'unworkable'
A unified post-acute payment system proposed by the Medicare Payment Advisory Commission is "unworkable as a foundation" the American Hospital Association maintains.
- It's here! McKnight's Fall Online Expo kicks off with MDS at 11 a.m.
McKnight's 5th Annual Fall Online Expo is today, and with it comes the opportunity to earn up to three free continuing education credits. Click here to register if you haven't already.
- Also in the News for Wednesday, Sept. 20
Improperly using lift gets SNF employee two years probation after resident's death … Post-Irma: New lawsuits filed against Florida power company and SNF where 8 died … SNF to close after stat …
- SNF where 8 died after Irma repeatedly called governor for help, exec says
The Florida nursing home where eight people died last week following Hurricane Irma called a private phone line for Gov. Rick Scott (R) three times requesting assistance, The Washington Post reported …
- Provider offers $375,000 settlement to family of resident given fatal overdose of oxycodone
An Ohio nursing home where a resident died after being given 20 times her prescribed dose of oxycodone has offered her family a $375,000 settlement, according to local reports.
- Also in the News for Tuesday, Sept. 19
OIG to tackle nursing home life safety requirements in new audit … Study: Providers should talk to older patients about life expectancy … American seniors are getting healthier, study shows
- One day to go: Get the latest in payment, quality and tech info at tomorrow's Fall Online Expo
There's only one day left before the McKnight's Fall Online Expo returns with an opportunity for providers to earn up to three free continuing education credits.
- American Senior Communities takes former CEO, execs, to court
American Senior Communities filed a lawsuit on Friday against several of its former executives and vendors, alleging they "systematically looted" the long-term care provider over the course …
- Also in the News for Monday, Sept. 18
Port Arthur SNF admin tried to stop police evacuation after Harvey, authorities say … Nearly 11% of seniors overtreated for diabetes, study finds … GAO calls for more oversight into Managed LTSS p …
- Hatch calls for answers from HHS on abuse, neglect in long-term care facilities
Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT) urged the Department of Health and Human Services on Friday to divulge information on nursing home abuse, following a scathing federal report that found more than a quarter of …
- Experts, lawmakers ponder impact of 8 residents' deaths on SNF sector; facility loses Medicaid funding
The Florida nursing home where eight residents died in the wake of Hurricane Irma has now been cut from the Medicaid program, as questions continue to swirl about the incident's effect on emergen …
- SNF occupancy continues to hit new lows, NIC report shows
Skilled nursing facility occupancy dropped to 81.7% — its lowest point in five years — in the second quarter of 2017, according to a report released Thursday by the National Investment Center for Seni …
- Provider group: Residents' Irma-related deaths 'not representative' of profession
The deaths of eight nursing home residents after Hurricane Irma knocked out air conditioning at their facility are "an isolated incident" that shouldn't be seen as characteristic of the …
- Body wipes found shoved inside resident; 'frustrated' CNA arrested
A nursing assistant at an Oklahoma nursing home has been arrested after confessing to stuffing care wipes inside a resident out of frustration, according to local reports.