Long Term Care News
- Nursing home settles with fertilizer suppliers whose products exploded, leveling building
A Texas nursing home has settled a lawsuit filed in the wake of a 2013 fertilizer explosion that leveled the facility and forced residents to evacuate.
- Missouri politicians seek annual funding boosts for nursing homes
The Missouri Senate has advanced a proposal to increase nursing home reimbursements.
- Three nurses arrested after unsealed video reveals they ignored resident's pleas
Three nursing home employees accused of ignoring the pleas of a World War II veteran in respiratory distress have been charged in his 2014 death, a Georgia prosecutor announced this week.
- Also in the News for Friday, Feb. 23
New Brookdale CEO talks turnaround after company rejects takeover bid … Michigan healthcare worker with tuberculosis exposed up to 600 people at nursing home, hospitals … Lawyers group says Pennsy …
- Senate Democrats ask HHS to restore some nursing home regulations
A group of Democratic senators is asking the Department of Health and Human Services to reverse its stance on rolling back nursing home regulations.
- Also in the News for Thursday, Feb. 22
Police charge patient who stole Oxycodone from nursing home med cart … Bill to expand Georgia nurses' powers gets watered down … Supreme Court lets stand differing opinions on data breach lia …
- Religious conscience objections 10 times as high since HHS launched new division
More than 300 healthcare workers have complained to the Health and Human Services Department about employers infringing on their religious or conscience rights, a monthly total that increased nearly t …
- Provider downsizing halted amid state ombudsman concerns over moving frail residents
A plan to downsize a Michigan nursing home that led to public outcry is on hold, according to the facility's CEO.
- Also in the News for Wednesday, Feb. 21
Former resident sues nursing home after losing eye in roommate altercation … Doctor moves into nursing home to launch his telemed start-up … Common osteoarthritis drug doesn't outperform plac …
- Parkinson's drug shows some promise for treating Alzheimer's psychosis
A drug approved for use in controlling hallucinations and delusions in Parkinson's patients showed mix results in a trial among Alzheimer's sufferers.
- New Mexico fights conflict-of-interest allegations in Medicaid managed care contracts
The state of New Mexico fired back this week against allegations that its selection of new contractors for the state's Medicaid program was sullied by a major conflict of interest.
- Michigan inching toward privatization of long-term care
Michigan is laying the groundwork to privatize its $2.8 billion Medicaid nursing home and long-term care services.
- Also in the News for Tuesday, Feb. 20
Activist investor 'closely monitoring' Brookdale's strategic review process … Federal legislation would make make it harder to file accessibility lawsuits … Removing an enzyme leads …
- Nursing home janitor charged after threatening to shoot co-workers
A janitor at a county-owned nursing home in upstate New York threatened to gun down two co-workers, the sheriff said Friday.
- OIG: Medicare needs to do more to prevent fraud and waste related to chiropractic care
Previous controls have not done enough to reduce fraud and waste in connection to chiropractic care for Medicare patients, according to a review issued by a federal watchdog Friday.